Thomas Jefferson Quotes (150 quotations)

Index Page # 1 of 6 (Quotes : 1 - 25 )

1. A democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where fifty-one percent of the people may take away the rights of the other forty-nine. - Thomas Jefferson

2. A little rebellion now and then...is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government. - Thomas Jefferson

3. A superintending power to maintain the Universe in its course and order. - Thomas Jefferson

4. A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor and bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government. - Thomas Jefferson

5. Advertisements... contain the only truths to be relied on in a newspaper. - Thomas Jefferson

6. All the world would be Christian if they were taught the pure Gospel of Christ! - Thomas Jefferson

7. All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to = remain silent. - Thomas Jefferson

8. All, too, will bear in mind this sacred principle, that though the will of the majority is in all cases to prevail, that will to be rightful must be reasonable; that the minority possess their equal rights, which equal law must protect, and to violate would be oppression. - Thomas Jefferson

9. An enemy generally says and believes what he wishes. - Thomas Jefferson

10. An honest man can feel no pleasure in the exercise of power over his fellow citizens. - Thomas Jefferson

11. At last now you can be what the old cannot recall and the young long for in dreams, yet still include them all. - Thomas Jefferson

12. Banking establishments are more dangerous than standing armies. - Thomas Jefferson

13. Be polite to all, but intimate with few. - Thomas Jefferson

14. Because religious belief, or non-belief, is such an important part of every person's life, freedom of religion affects every individual. State churches that use government power to support themselves and force their views on persons of other faiths undermine all our civil rights. Moreover, state support of the church tends to make the clergy unresponsive to the people and leads to corruption within religion. Erecting the "wall of separation between church and state," therefore, is absolutely essential in a free society. - Thomas Jefferson

15. But friendship is precious, not only in the shade, but in the sunshine of life, and thanks to a benevolent arrangement the greater part of life is sunshine. - Thomas Jefferson

16. Delay is preferable to error. - Thomas Jefferson

17. Democracy is 51% of the people taking away the rights of the other 49%. - Thomas Jefferson

18. Dependence begets subservience and venality, suffocates the germ of virtue, and prepares fit tools for the designs of ambition. - Thomas Jefferson

19. Determine never to be idle. No person will have occasion to complain of the want of time who never loses any. It is wonderful how much may be done if we are always doing. - Thomas Jefferson

20. Determine never to be idle...It is wonderful how much may be done if we are always doing. - Thomas Jefferson

21. Do not bite at the bait of pleasure till you know there is no hook beneath it. - Thomas Jefferson

22. Do you want to know who you are? Don't ask. Act! Action will delineate and define you. - Thomas Jefferson

23. Don't talk about what you have done or what you are going to do - Thomas Jefferson

24. Educate and inform the whole mass of the peopleƉ. They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty. - Thomas Jefferson

25. Enlighten the people, generally, and tyranny and oppressions of body and mind will vanish like spirits at the dawn of day. - Thomas Jefferson

Quotes Index Pages : 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next

Search by Author Last Name :

A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | X | Y | Z